Since the rest of my yard is already torn up due to the hubby’s desire to add a new water line and a sprinkler system and because we have had to rip out part of the concrete patio, we have decided to go ahead and rip the rest of it out as well…it was rather awkward anyway. However, that decision has left us without a place to put a table and chairs and since we love to be outdoors during the warmer months, the lack of such a place simply would not do. Therefore, I started a whole other project: install an old brick patio.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
The perks of being married to a plumber whose dad owns a backhoe: That’s right, now that the weather is nice we can come out of hibernation and start working on the house again. We left off last fall with the beginnings of breaking away concrete for a new water line. Yesterday and today, we (by we, I actually mean the hubby, his cousin and his uncle) have been digging the trench for said water line. He has torn up both the back and front yards but assures me that this is necessary …we’ll see.
While we’re at it, we will also be leveling off our front yard, installing a sprinkler system and adding Fescue (our 2 huge pecan trees are blocking all of the sun from our front yard and nothing else seems to grow).
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Wow! It has been forever since I have updated this blog. It seems like when the weather got cold we just stopped all home renovations and went into hibernation…which in all reality, is partially true.
We did get the rest of the random overhang pulled down (excuse the mass chaos going on with wires and outdoor furniture);
But we still have yet to decide what to do with the exposed rafter ends that were so carelessly chopped off.
From the first photo you can’t really tell, so maybe once they are painted it won’t be so bad. On the other hand though, I really hate to leave things half-way done. Regardless, it is not something that is needing to be done immediately…I have many other projects that are at the forefront of my “to-do list”.
Anyway, I have also been tirelessly trying to strip paint from the wood in the laundry room: first step was the heat gun which got rid of most of the paint; second step was to apply a paint stripper and leave on overnight; third step has been to use steel wool to scrub and scrape remaining paint; and even after all of that I still can’t seem to get it all off.
I have to be honest…I HATE this job! It gives me an all new respect for those of you who have stripped wood in several rooms of your home because believe me, there have been multiple times where I have just wanted to give up and repaint it all; but I haven’t because I know that in the end, I will be happy to have the original wood smiling at me every time I do the laundry.
Here are the before and during (since I haven’t yet finished) photos of that “little” project.
Before (I could shoot myself for not taking a better picture – this was taken before we moved in)
On a sad note, as you can see from the above photo, the last of the original windows are gone and replaced with those ugly things.
Again, not my choice; but since the previous owners had already replaced 35+ of the windows and thrown the originals away, we felt we had no other choice. We simply ordered the rest of the windows to match those already existing.
Speaking of the laundry room, we also took the hot water heater out of there
and placed a new one in the basement.
Although it is not a huge change right now, I know that once we really go to work on the laundry room, if will be nice to have that additional space.
Outside, Josh has started work on putting in a new waterline. At this point he has only ripped up even more concrete but at least it’s a step in the right direction.
Of course now, I just want to rip the rest of it out and have a bigger yard : )
Monday, October 27, 2008
Monday, October 13, 2008
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Thursday, September 25, 2008
In the picture below, the after will reveal that we are in fact getting rid of the very ugly 1970's water-heater vent thingy (excuse the non-technical terminology) and the add-on overhang. And if you look closely enough, you will see the original shaker style shingles (yes, they were merely covered up).